Thursday, September 4, 2008

Precious Smiles

I have a hard time picking a favorite. It changes every time a pick up a different baby. For the past few days it seems Lil Maria and Rachel have been by my side or on my lap. They are 2 of the sweetest little girls. In this picture Maria is on the left and Rachel on the right. Lil Maria is a mix of sweet and feisty. If you catch her in at the wrong time she may swing her hand and say "NO!" or you if you catch her at the
right time she will ball up her fists, squish up her little face up, and grin with excitement. She then will come give a big kiss, which sounds like "mmmmmmwwhaaaaaaaaaa"! It is the sweetest thing ever! I can't help, but give her a big hug and carry her around. She's a tiny 2 year old weighing no more that 15 pounds, hence the "lil" Maria, so she is easy to pick up and carry. It must be said that she is always wearing red shoes and I just think it matches her personality to a tee!
Now to Rachel....when I first meet Rachel she was very quite and reserved. She was always very serious, never smiling or talking. But, lately she have made been laughing and smiling and playing. Nothing warms my heart more than to hear her raspy little voice say "Pepanie" and look down to see her big beautiful grin. When she is smiley and playful she is very independent and loves for you to watch her run and play. When she slips back into her serious mode, she is sweet and cuddly, but nothing can make her smile. I really don't know much about her past other than her parents are refugees from Burundi and she was found living on the streets with her brother who is only about 7 years old. I can't even fathom what she has had to experience in her short life so far.
Each time I see these 2 little girls playing and laughing or raising their arms for me to hold them my heart warms and I'm quickly reminded of why I'm here. God has sent me to share his love with these precious little people!

6 comments:

kathrinagriggs said...

they are adorable!! nothing better than to see a child smile and you make them smile all day -- that is truly wonderful.

Joni said...

aww, pepanie! that is sooo cute. :) we sure do miss you, but it's so good to see the effect you are having on the little ones over there!

Caroline said...

AW!!! Tell them they have an Auntie Caroline in Atlanta who loves them, too!!!

Anonymous said...

have they learned to say sniggy yet? hmmmm.... pepanie is probably a little bit cuter. i miss you guys and wish that i could see what you're seeing. praying big

T said...

can i call you pepanie from now on?

Eliza's Travels said...

rachhhh! love her. little marrria love her (haha) does she still have ringworm?