Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Times they are a changin'

Sorry it's been so long since we've updated...no good excuse except we've been on the move.

We are now in Pretoria, South Africa. We arrived in Johannesburg last Thursday, and will be staying with my brother and his wife until next Friday. Pretoria is VERY nice! It's green with beautiful rolling hills AND there are malls here! Nice ones, Chirsty and I have been "those girls" saying look at this, look at that; for example "wow, look they have wheat bread and yummy snacks!" or "the roads are so nice...all are paved and no pot holes!" It's the small pleasures in life, ya know! Sometimes we forget we are still in Africa, but we're enjoying our down time here. Will and Valerie have generously made us feel at home and have been showing us all around town. God has truly blessed us with such a wonderful place to spend a couple weeks.

We leave November 7th for Jeffery's Bay, South Africa where we will be working with street children. In J'bay we'll be working with an Atlanta organization, Luo, www.luo-setfree.org. We are meeting our friend Jessica, who is on the board, along with others from Atlanta to serve for 2 weeks. From there we will go to Lesotho for a week, where we plan to visit baby homes and orphanages.

We are excited about the rest of this adventure God has in store for us, but it was so hard to leave CoL. I think the last night we put the babies to bed was the most emotional evening so far. They were all so well behaved wanting us to sing and dance to the hokey pokey and read a book and just cuddle. When the nannies announced "kulala time" tears came to my eyes. It felt like yesterday we arrived and now this will be the last time I kiss each one and say "lala salama". So, I think I picked each one up at least twice before leaving. Every other night when I would hear "Pepanie" or "Tepitie" I would just turn, blow a kiss and leave the room, but I couldn't that night. I couldn't resist and went to each one as they called. I picked them up, gave kisses and told them how much I loved them. It's so hard to imagine not seeing them everyday and not being present in their lives. But, I know that God will provide for each of those precious children. He will continue to bring new people into their lives to love and care for them.

4 comments:

Eliza's Travels said...

gavin is from pertoria! cute! I hope you guys are having a great time. miss you dadas. keep blogging.

T said...

i want to hold one of them, pepanie!!

hepperson said...

LADIES!!! i love yall!!! i miss you both so much...cant wait to hear more...love yall hal

Anonymous said...

hearts of gold...