Tuesday, January 13, 2009

They say there's no place like home....

They say home is where the heart is. Where is home if your heart is broken into multiple pieces? Is it where the biggest piece is? What if the biggest piece shifts on any given day?
I have never been more in love with God, my family and friends. I have also never missed a community, culture and children the way I miss Tanzania. One weeks ago I was flying over the Atlantic Ocean on my way "home". I was greeted with hugs and a venti Starbucks in a holiday cup (something i am not ashamed to admit that i had missed greatly) at the airport by my loving family. But I'm not sure if I'm home.
I began to think that maybe I will feel home when I have some of my winter clothes and I'm not living out of a suitcase. Maybe I will feel home when i have an answer for "So where are you going to be living","When are you going back to Africa" or "Where are you going to work?" But then I thought maybe for once I feel the way that Christ intended for all of us to feel while here on this earth without him. Maybe home isn't where my earthly heart is at all. Maybe home is where my spirit longs to be. Don't get me wrong it would be a lie if I said that I didn't want to live here on this earth until I got to experience marriage or the miracle of birth or the blessing of adoption. I would be lying if I said that I didn't want to first travel the whole earth and see what He created long ago, but maybe like Paul said 2 Corinthians 5:6" Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord."
but the more I read and thought about the verse I realize that he wasn't just saying that to be with God you have to be in Heaven. Maybe he is saying that you can invite God right now into your everyday. Maybe being away from the body and with the Lord is a spiritual experience not physical. My problem with knowing where home is, is that I have made it circumstantial when it should not be. I was right when I said that maybe how I am feeling is how Christ intended for us all to feel while here on this earth without him. The problem isn't that I'm still on the earth. The problem is that my heart is in so many different places and it's not just in one. It's not just in the palm of my heavenly fathers hand and maybe where my spirit longs to be is with him on this earth learning all he still needs to teach me.
2 Corinthian 5:9 "Therefore, we have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him." - May we all find our home in the loving hand of our Father God.
P.S. - Mom the chicken pot pie last night was amazing & I promise to clean up my room before I leave for Atlanta!

~Christy

No comments: